To fill you in on the details, Roy sustained 3 punctures late yesterday afternoon/early evening stranding him north of Kidderminster. I located where he was on Google and then found and booked a hotel about 7 or 8 miles away from where he stopped. They very kindly offered to give Roy a lift but he
declined, saying he was "managing". He
must have gerry-rigged up some sort of repair. I still don't know how.
His tyre was completely ripped and the side walls now
damaged where he needed to cycle on it to get off the fast road. 3 punctures in around 2 hours is hard
going. Roy thought he was getting them on the canal
path, so swapped to the road, where he picked up the next two within 10 minutes
of each other.
Unfortunately, I needed to cancel his accommodation booked for that
night as it was 30 miles on and out of reach.
Hopefully, Roy
can drop in today if/when he passes to collect his parcel.
I also found details of a cycle shop in Wombourne as luck
would have it, on his route, only 4.9 miles away and texted Roy .
The next problem was how was Roy
going to make up the time being about 30 miles out? And allow time to fix the bike? Day 4 was definitely going to be a long one.
So, on we go…..
Found Fred Williams Cycles (amongst many I found) who are changing tyres and inner
tubes. Roy will buy up big stock of inner
tubes. His plan is to enter the post
code of his start point for Day 4 and get there as quickly as possible on fast
roads.
I have called ahead to Stork Inn to say that Roy is likely to arrive
after 11 and is that a problem? No, just
call at 10 to say how far out he is.
16:35 Kenworthy Woods. 94 miles. 54 today’s route
16:37 Absolute downpour for nearly an hour. Lots of thunder. Soaked
18:31 I abandoned the route due to mud. Not sure a good
decision. Now slow due to traffic.
18:57 This route v urban. Been thru Bolton now heading for
Blackburn. Don’t know what road called
but a long way east of route. Just been
over a big climb. Now raining. 119 miles
20:02 135 miles somewhere past Ribchester. Knackered.
A6 Broughton
21:57 TA dah!
No comments:
Post a Comment